Rasing Beggars

You know what I hate? Yes, I'm going to use that strong of a word.

I HATE when your walking in or out of a store and there are children there asking you to donate money to whatever their cause is. This is something that drives me insane.

This morning Olivia and I ventured out to Wal-mart. Yeah, we were feeling brave. Wal-mart on a Saturday morning = Crazy town. When we were walking into the store, we were attacked by a local baseball team asking for donations to send them to the world series. I was very tempted to stop and say something rude like "why should I just give you money, what are you going to do for me?" But I figured the parents would have then jumped on top of me and since Wal-mart is pretty much the only place to shop in our town, I held my tongue.

I spent my entire childhood in some type of organized sport. We never once stood on the side of the road or in front of a store begging people for money. We always earned it. I can remember doing countless car washes or candy sales in order to raise money for what we needed. Personally, I feel like this is nothing but laziness on the parents part. The parents of this baseball team were all huddled up in the shade and too busy talking while their children were begging for money. Obviously, to do a car wash or candy sale would involve too much participation on the parents part, so why not we just ask people for money.

David and I have talked about this before when we've seen kids just asking for money and I feel like it does nothing but teach children that they don't have to work hard for what they want. All it's doing is teaching our children to be beggars. Yeah, it sucked doing car washes in the 90 degree heat, but if we wanted to go to cheerleading competition, then we did it.

Now, I do not have a problem when certain charities just ask for money. Every time I see the firefighters collecting money for burned children, I always give. Once, I even went through the same intersection twice within an hour while the firefighters were collecting and I gave both times. That is perfectly legit to me.

I can assure you that whatever my children are involved in over the years, if it is ever suggested that they stand there and beg for money, I would speak up and refuse to participate. Plus, I would not place my child on that team or whatever it is the next go round. I do not want to raise my children to think all they have to do is ask and they shall receive. That's not the way life works and I do not want them growing up thinking they are owed anything. I feel like all we're doing is raising a generation of beggars and people wonder what's wrong with our society?

Just my opinion.

Comments

Nicole said…
100% agreed.

I think maybe we should go sit in front of Walmart and have a "send me on vacation" fundraiser.
Anonymous said…
very agreed! and Nicole- I will bring the chairs and sit next to you :o)
Amber said…
I'll make the signs and bring the buckets!

Popular Posts