my parenting tatics suck

Let me set the scene....

A few weeks ago, it was one of those cold windy days in which we were stuck inside all day.  It was getting later in the day and close to nap time....or shall I say, close to the time I attempt to put her down for a nap. Some days I win...most days, not.

She had been activiely playing all morning and there are toys strewn all over the house.  I'm cool with that being that we don't have a playroom and I usually just let her have at the entire house while playing and then attempt at some type of cleaning later in the day.  So, I calmly tell her that we needed to start picking up some of these toys because it was time to go lay down.



About ten minutes of whining and crying about how she doesn't want to pick up her stuff ensues.

"Fine then, I'll throw your toys in the trash, since you don't want to pick them up."

Now, I'm sure your thinking "well, that's kinda childish to say" but that was the first thing I could think of and I needed something because my asking kindly was not getting me anywhere and let's be honest, we've all been there at some point in time.

I'm expecting a cry out of "NO!!!" and her to immediately start picking up just something....but no, I end up with a...

"FINE, I'LL JUST THROW THEM AWAY!!!"

Ummm....not really what I was looking for.

I throw out an "I'm serious, I'm going to throw away whatever you don't pick up."

"I'LL JUST DO IT!!"  

And then she proceeds to walk into the kitchen and starts throwing them in the trash can herself!

 

At this point, I'm about speechless and grasping at straws....I mean like I was really going to throw them away...most of them were brand new toys she had just gotten for Christmas less than two months ago.

I responded with a "No, like put them in a trash bag and on the curb for the trash man to pick up. 

My threats were still a no win and she continues to chunk toys in the trash and hollers "I DON'T CARE!!!"

I immediately panic and start fishing the toys out of the trash. 

"Okay, I'm lying, I'm lying...I'm not really throwing them away.  These things were gifts that people spent their hard earned money on and we're not throwing them away....."

Obviously...I lose. 



I'm honestly not quite sure how we ended this one.  The toys eventually were picked up and put back where they belong...not in trash...and I'm certain a nap was not taken. 

All I do know is, I won't be attempting  to write a parenting book anytime soon.  

Comments

Popular Posts