30 & The AARP

Dave: " The problem with turning 28 is that your too close to 30."

Me: "I don't have a problem with 30. I ain't scared of 30. I'm going to punch 30 in it's face."

**********

Since we're speaking of birthdays this week, I decided I would share something about me most do not know.

I'm a member of the AARP.

Okay, technically I'm not a member. I never sent in my $10 yearly membership fee before the reply by date. Which is sad, because for only $6 dollars more, David could have joined in the membership benefits with me.

This story actually begins six years earlier. On the day of my twenty-first birthday I came home from work and like everyday, checked the mail. I opened up an envelope addressed to me to find a membership form to join the AARP. I looked at my Meme (who I was living with at the time) and asked "What is the AARP?" At 21, I had no clue. She looked at me with a confused look and said "What?" I repeated my question and informed her that I was sent forms to join the AARP. She just started dying laughing. Once she finally stopped laughing, she informed me that the AARP was kind of a senior citizens discount club. We laughed about it for several years later. No one in the family believed me that at 21 years old, I had been asked to join the AARP. Luckily, she could vouch for me.

This past summer on my 27th birthday, I was resent the membership forms to rejoin the AARP. I saved the card to show my Meme. She could only laugh again. This time I was smart and took a picture for proof.

We're off to Denny's now to hit up the early bird special.

Comments

Kameron said…
Do people totally look at you crazy when you whip that out for your discount? That is hilarious. I got a letter from the government after I turned 18 informing me it was a federal offense not to sign up for the draft. I guess they thought I was a guy!

Popular Posts