Independence 2012

Independence day is one of my favorite holidays.  It comes in 3rd right after Christmas and Thanksgiving on my list.  I love the traditions and family that surround it.

For the past ten years or so, we've spent our July 4th at the beach with my family.

There have been one or two that we've missed for different reasons, but otherwise, you can always find us here in Cherry Grove, SC on the fourth.  Spending the day at the beach, grilling out hamburgers and hot dogs for dinner, and fireworks on the beach...it's our traditional Independence day every year.

This Independence day was the same old traditions, with a little new thrown in there.

Four of us got up before dawn and headed out, so two of us could run in our first Independence Day 8k.

 I somehow convinced my cousin KP to run with me, but more on that in another post  (I'm in the red and she's in the white).  We finished with a what I believe respectable time for our first race. 

We got back to the beach house just in time for breakfast and then headed out to the beach for the day. 

We laid on the beach listening to a d.j. blaring Born in the USA, watching fighter jets fly over, drinking lime-a-ritas, and surrounded by children in red, white, & blue swimwear.  

It was all very Americana. 




As I sat there on the beach, I was truly thankful that I live in a country where I have the opportunity to spend my day that way. 

We came back from the beach and I laid Olivia down to rest, when I came out of the shower about 15 minutes later, she was passed out with the ipad on her face.

 

 She "played hard!"

I debated back and forth on whether or not I should take her down to the beach for fireworks.  Thankfully, decided at the last minute to just sit on the back porch with her.  We cuddled while waiting for them to start.

 

(You can thank me later for my awesome cell phone photography later)

 
 We made it through the first few fireworks and then little Miss. decided she wasn't a fan.  We finished off fireworks with her Grandpa and I trading places with her and watching them from the kitchen window.






 She's been at the "I hate anything loud" stage for a few months now.  Maybe we can watch them from the actual beach next year.

As usual, the only thing missing was Big D. He was busy making waffles for everyone enjoying their day off to celebrate Independence.  As usual, we missed him.

Hope everyone had a great fourth! Off to enjoy our last couple of days at the beach!

Comments

Popular Posts