On the nightstand.

I am seriously asked about once a week for a book recommendation, so I thought it was time to share what I read over the summer. 

I was just saying to someone the other day, that I felt like I went through a reading slump during the summer.  However, when I went back through my little reading journal, I was surprised with how much I actually had read over the past few months.  Not saying that to be a bragger, I just really did surprise myself.  Maybe I should stop saying "I'm not reading right now."
 

For some reason, this has been the year of big books for me.  Peachtree Road and Fall Of Giants both came in over 900 pages.   Cutting for Stone and Outlander (which I read last winter) wasn't too far behind with 700.  I like big books and I cannot lie.

Here's a full list of what I've read... 

Peachtree Road ~Anne Rivers Siddons
I'm a sucker for any book set in Georgia.  Loved this book, but coming in at over 900 pages, it is a commitment.  The story was full of characters that I fell in love with and a story that kept me on my toes all the way through. 

My Antonia`~Willa Cather*

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother~ Amy Chua

To Kill A Mockingbird~ Harper Lee*

Spring Fever~Mary Kay Andrews
A great, quick beach read I would recommend to any kind of reader.
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter~ Seth Grahame-Smith
Interesting story...movie was okay. 
The Great Gatsby~ F. Scott Fitzgerald*

Cutting For Stone~Abraham Verghese
I've been hearing about this one for awhile now, but I heard mixed reviews, so I stayed away.   Then I found a cheap used copy and it was the best $3 ever spent.  I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book.  I would rank it up there with A Thousand Splendid Suns.  However, it's not an easy book to read....difficult names, adult situations, etc.  I would only recommend it to a regular reader, not someone looking for a quick beach read. A life changer book that makes you stop and think of how every little choice and action affects the direction of your life.  

The Secrct Garden~ Frances Hodgson Bernett*

Fall of the Giants~ Ken Follett
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is one of those you always hear about.  It was always on my list to read, but I ended up watching the mini series with David a year or two back.  I'm sure the book is ten times better, but I have to let my mind forget the mini series first before I read it.  So, give me another ten years before I pick it up.  That being said, I dove into Fall of The Giants because I didn't want another Ken Follett book get away from me.  I enjoyed it....think Downton Abby kinda story line....but wouldn't recommend it unless your a Ken Follett or huge book fan.  However, I think it would make a great mini-series!

The Light Between Oceans~ML Stedman* 
Great, easy beach read.  I won't share too much because we're talking about it at book club on Monday. 

*Book club pick

You might have noticed that we read the "Classics" this summer for bookclub, just to shake things up a bit.  Though I enjoyed most of them, we all decided we wouldn't rank too many up there with our all time favorites. Expect To kill a Mockingbird.....that one is a required favorite by everyone, right?

Every few months, I go through what I already have and pick a stack of ones I've yet to read.  I do it to keep me from buying more, but lets be honest, it doesn't always work.  I did this the other day and I'm certain I won't read these all, but can maybe get a few knocked off.  The rest will go back on the shelf and hopefully make the next round.


On the kindle is what I'm currently reading: 7: An experimental Mutiny against Excess by Jen Hatmaker

It's speaking to me....big time.

Read anything good lately?


Comments

Popular Posts