The Greats.

The internet on my computer has been out for a few days now.  I had done everything I could possibly think of to fix it, but to no avail.  So, I've been resorting to pleas over text and phone call to David to help with the situation.  David has begun his extra crazy Christmas hours these past two weeks and he's been getting in so late, he pretty much passes out when he walks in the door, so obviously fixing my computer was not a priority.  However, it hit me this afternoon "maybe I should try to restart the computer?"  I know your thinking "duh" but that thought really did not occur to me till days later.

Lo and behold, the internet is magically working again.

I'm still sticking with my argument that the computer is on the fritz (it's over six years old) and I need a new one.  Miraculously, the hubby isn't arguing with me on that one, but even I can agree that Christmas is not the time to be in need of a new computer.  Fingers crossed, ol' Betty here makes it till Spring. 


************

Last Spring, my family on my Dad's side gathered to watch the last one of us "grand girls" head off to her senior prom.  It's been a family tradition since the oldest (that would be me) headed off to prom for the first time almost 14 years ago.  Yes, we are totally that family with 15 people there and 15 cameras in tow, snapping away.
 
After we waved the baby off, the rest of us headed out for dinner.  While waiting for our meal, we started talking about the fact it would be another 15 years till we get to wish another girl off to prom.  My Meme made the comment "I hope to be there to see her." I immediately looked up and snapped "Why wouldn't you be? Already have plans?"  Yes, my Meme looked at me like I was crazy. 


I was fortunate enough that I got to know most of my great grandparents.  Several of them did pass away when I was too young to really get to know them, however, three of them lived until I was well into my teens or beyond.  In fact, my last great grandparent just passed in 2011 when I was 29. 

So naturally, I have just always assumed Olivia would grow up with my grand parents around. 
It's honestly something I've taken for granted until yesterday when I had posted the picture below and got so many responses on how lucky  I was to still have my grandparents around.


Olivia is fortunate to have five great grandparents still in her life and we're fortunate to get to see them on a somewhat regular basis. 

Obviously, we do not know what life will bring our way, but my wish remains that Olivia gets the opportunity to know them the way I knew my own growing up.

Olivia, if you ever read this....I know we will come to a point and time where you roll your eyes when I mention a visit to the "old people" (their words, not mine), but take a moment out of your day to visit and listen to their stories for the umpteenth time.  I promise that one day you'll miss it. 

 

For the record, it's fun to watch your parents become grandparents.  It's even more fun to watch your grandparents become great grandparents......you think your parents spoil the kids....with Great grandparents, all the rules are totally out the window.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amber,

I know we have our differences and what not, but I just wanted to let you know that I was glad to stumble across this post today. I dont check your blog to regularly, but this one caught my eye. It was great to see pictures of Grandmamma and Granddaddy and even Meme. I have very fond memories of Grandmamma and Granddaddy. Even Meme holds a special place from my middle school days and she would always take care of me in the lunch room. For what it is worth, thank you for posting this.

Melissa

Popular Posts